By: Sarah J. Maas
Crown of Midnight At a Glance
- Overall Rating: ★★★★
- Heroine: Lethal predator, cries on cue, woman of many talents
- Emotional: Buckle up because this is a bumpy one
- Brutal: Severed heads aren’t the worst part
- Steaminess: broom closet
Pairs Well With
- 1.5 oz vodka
- .5 oz coffee liqueur
- .25 oz cinnamon syrup
- Garnish: lemon twist.
Beware. Spoilers are coming…
This whole reread just made us feel like we were torturing ourselves. Yes we love this book, but there were just too many emotions happening.
Things We Liked
- Okay, the severed heads? Slayena is so brutal. It’s amazing. And when she brings the rings she leaves them on their hands. Just gross, but also BA.
- Rena Goldstein getting the ultimate long-game revenge by working for 10 years to get an audience with the king and say F*%& you with her music.
- Celaena going BEAST MODE and running poisoned through the entire city to get home.
- Dorian and Celaena resurrecting their friendship — when Dorian agrees to take care of Fleetfoot and even let her sleep in his bed and Celaena promises to come back for him. And Dorian just let her go. He gets jealous sure, but for the most part, he is a grown up and moves on to be her friend. What a grown up.
- Celaena going full-on assassin and taking down the asshats who kidnapped Chaol. She annihilated the entire warehouse of men! I hope everyone listens to that scene with Ride of the Valkyries playing dramatically in the background. This is why she is called Slayena.
- When Celaena promises to free Ellywe. Brb crying.
Things We Disliked
- Bidding Parties for a courtesan’s virginity = NOPE
- Creepy Baba Yellowlegs. That witch is not messing around. We don’t know why Dorian would go to her for advice when she’s literally insane.
- When Celaena goes behind the library to the scary places It felt like we were in a horror movie. We were screaming “Stop! Don’t go down there! Only bad things happen in secret chambers. Haven’t you read Harry Potter?”
- The thing in the clock tower. It gave us LOTR Smeagol flashbacks and that is not cool. That thing is terrifying.
- Archer. He held such promise and then turned out to be evil and crazy. I mean it is common knowledge that the hotter someone is the crazier they are…
Things We Disagreed On
- Chaol –
- Teagan: Why the heck is Chaol so overprotective when he didn’t give a crap that she suffered in Endovier and was clearly going to be the king’s champion. God. Damnit. Chaol. WTF are you doing you rat? I’m so over everyone hero worshipping Chaol as this great dude. Why wouldn’t he tell Celaena or Nehemia about a threat to her life? What kind of person does that????! I’m not saying he deserved to be tortured and kidnapped but he also didn’t not deserve it either. When Chaol gets mad at her for not killing the king’s enemies but earlier in the book he was mad she was killing them. Chaol you are annoying little rat please stop speaking. And then freaking Chaol judging Celaena for killing Archer and being fae… But doesn’t judge Dorian for having magic. I have no words except Chaol’s gotta freaking go.
- Jess: Chaol and Slayena are the cutest friends in the world. I loved them in this book. She asks Chaol to hire a servant to bring them treats. I died laughing. He knows her and knows to bribe her with cake and treats, but mostly it’s because he hates that she was a slave. When Chaol asked Celaena to dance my heart just melted. And then she feels like she is home around him. Just my heart is a puddle on the ground. His freaking birthday…I can’t deal. I really loved the two of them in this book. Yeah, so he did keep a secret, but how many did Celaena keep? Way more. Chaol saving fleetfoot from the monster was a pretty good move to get back on her good side. Just sayin’. All-in-all he probably does deserve to cry in a broom closet, but he wasn’t that bad…yet.
- Teagan: Tough love friendship + sad death
- Jess: I was not the biggest Nehemia fan; mostly because I can’t get over her lies. She kept super dangerous secrets and lied to Celaena’s face about pretty much everything. The only reason she got away with it is because she died. Still, the scene with them eating chocolate and talking about boys on her bed was the sweetest thing. Girl sleepover!
“Honestly, I’m surprised you’re not strutting about, boasting to everyone. I certainly would be if I’d tumbled me.” – Slayena
“You have one sentence to convince me not to kill you all. One sentence.” – Slayena
“For you, I’d say that chocolate cake is most definitely a need.” – Chaol
“I’d like to debrief you.” She raised an eyebrow. “Aren’t you at least going to take me to dinner first?” His eyes narrowed, and she gave him a pout.
“This is the part where you shut your mouth and pretend to be a woolly-headed bit of decoration. Shouldn’t be too hard for you.” – Slayena
“What the hell do you think you’re doing?” – Chaol “Your job apparently.” – Celaena