By: Kresley Cole
#18 in The Immortals After Dark series | 400 pages | Pub. 2017
Wicked Abyss At a Glance
- Overall Rating: ★★★★
- Dude Ranking: If you have gold tattoos you can take my virginity in a diamond cave
- Steaminess: As hot as a volcano in hell
- Brutality: Everything you own in a box to the left
Pairs Well With
Black Devil Martini
- 2 oz dark rum
- 1/2 oz dry vermouth
- black olive
- orange sugar
Beware. Spoilers are coming…
So Teagan told me in January that I should read a Kresley Cole book and here I am 18 books and 6 weeks later. This series so addicting that Miss Cole gets all the credit for my awesome Goodreads stats this year. Plenty of series die out toward the end, especially if they are running in the high teens, but Immortals After Dark just seems to be getting better.
Lila is hilarious and for someone who was thrown out into the mortal world at 13, she is kicking ass at life. She does anything she can to survive, including befriending strange and scary creatures and burning herself. This girl is on par with Catalia and Olina for me; sticking shards of glass under her dress to stab Sian and tossing him off of a balcony. In her break up letter she quotes Beyoncé and then locks Sian out of his own dimension. And Pandemonia lets her!! Lila and Nix just need to run everything in these worlds.
Mr. King of hell Abyssian, you and I have issues. I have limited patience for many of Cole’s male characters because they are overwhelmingly obnoxious in a “lock you up in a tower” kind of way. Abyssian actually does lock her up in a sex tower. There are dick statues around… Who in the eff are you bro? But really, I wasn’t a fan of his inability to just GET OVER IT! He spends all of this time talking about how dissimilar Kari and Lila are, but then he turns around and punishes her for Kari’s deeds. He was pretty funny and sexy in a strange way, but until he becomes a real man, Lila deserves better.
I did love the back and forth with Lila and Sian. They were pretty cute and flirty while a lot of Cole’s couples are way too serious. She throws wine in his face and laughs, telling him to “cool off.” He deserved it.
This was probably my favorite in the IAD series, except for Shadow’s Claim because Trehan owns my heart. What can I say? Tall dark and scary is my type.
Well played, Cole, well played. I didn’t think 18 books in that she could give me a character that surprised me. But guys, I have a *bit* of a girl crush on Lila. Let me count the ways I love Lila.
- She overcomes her fear of spiders (same, girl, same) by befriending two, naming them Chip and Dale and enlisting them in her schemes. I love a quality schemer (looking at you Aelin).
- I always respect a girl with a motto. And honestly, FIFTO might become my own personal motto. This chick cannot be stopped. And she throws Sian off a balcony with a bag of dicks. #respect
- She’s a fellow cat lover and adopts a whole litter of hell-kittens which is basically me every time I volunteer at an animal shelter.
- SHE QUOTES QUEEN BEY IN HER REVENGE LETTER TO SIAN. YAASS.
“…In the immortal words of a very wise mortal: everything you own in a box to the left.” – Lila
- In a move almost as good as Bey’s Lemonade, she kicks and locks Sian out of his own kingdom. Slay, girl, slay.
- When Sian gives her a broom and mop to clean, she decides to make them weapons in her arsenal and I got serious Rapunzel and her frying pan vibes and I loved it.
And did anyone else get total Elle Woods flashbacks when she goes “Like it was hard?” to Sian. I’m loving this Elle Woods, Beyonce, Rapunzel hybrid cuz girl is badass. Yes, she has some communication issues that she needs to work out in her relationship but girl knows how to barter and get what she wants.
Outside of Lila I just really enjoyed this book because it was the most playful book in the IAD series thus far. No matter that the plot has a lot of sadness, betrayal, brutality and hot sex, it always had some fun mixed in. Lila and Sian are always goofing around with each other and having a good time. Unlike a lot of Cole’s other books, you actually see some strong positive relationship building between these two and it was fun to experience!
I will admit to being really really annoyed with Sian most of the book though. Dude needs to get over himself and recognize that Lila does not equal Kari. Yeah dude, you got screwed. But it was 10,000 years ago and with a completely different human. Chill.
If Uthyr doesn’t get his own book soon. I will revolt, Kresley. I will.
Let us know what you thought of Wicked Abyss in the comments!